Hyderabad girls are in self defense

Posted by SRINU GUNTURU | | Posted On Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 10:51 AM

A woman, verbally lashing the ubiquitous roadside-romeo is commonplace around the country, but Hyderabadi girls are taking it up a notch. Public spaces, transport and commercial areas are increasingly becoming uncomfortable, if not unsafe, with hordes of rowdy men waiting for an opportunity to eve-tease or grope.Our feisty ladies have now resorted to carrying everything from pen-knives, nail files, safety pins to chilli powder, improvising new ways to ward off or punish roving, lecherous hands everyday. And in the absence of a committed stand towards women’s rights and safety by the state authorities, these women say they will have to keep upping the ante.I never leave home without an extremely sharp nail file in my wallet because the roads are so unsafe, says Sonal Gaggar, a student in the city, adding, In fact, I know many of my friends who actually carry mirchi powder in their bag as a means to self-defence.Hansika Sawhney of St Francis believes that the city of Hyderabad has become unsafe with hooligans and roadside Romeos haunting every nook and corner and I’ve heard of horrible eve teasing cases.Hansika has been left with no option but to carry a small weapon. Initially, I decided to join a karate class or take kick boxing lessons but in the end it proved to be too much of an effort. So, I have armed myself with a Victorinox instead. I had once cut my finger with it by accident so I know how sharp it is. If anyone tries anything, I am prepared with it.”Ria De used to travel regularly by the MMTS. She says, We need pepper spray when you have a good old can of deodorant? If I ever come across someone trying to get smart with me, I do not hesitate to use it.”

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Hyderabad girls are in self defense

Post a Comment